Friday, January 12, 2007

Blue Spring State Park

Our visit to Florida included a stop at Florida's Blue Spring State Park for a view of the Manatees. Here you can see an adult weighing in at about one ton. That is 2,000 pounds of lovable sea mammal. The clear 72 degree spring water makes viewing from the observation platforms outstanding. In the cool winter months, the manatees move up into the Blue Spring run of the St. John's River for the natural warmth. As the waters warm, they will move further out into the bay. For that reason, it is best to view them in the morning or later in the afternoon on warmer winter days.

Here a mother can be seen with her young as they head out into the bay. This area was rich in other natural wildlife and my camera was often drawn to the beautifully majestic shore birds. While the Great Blue Heron is not exclusive to this part of the country even in the winter months, the surrounding moss laden Live Oak trees make a stupendous background as seen below.




As I add more pictures to my website from Illinois to Texas, you will see this magnificent bird in all these locations. They are one of my favorites and therefore often captured in pictures.




The White Ibis is common to the southern regions and is often found in large groups. I saw this one walking the shoreline looking for food. Another inhabitant was not nearly so active. The alligator below was sunning himself/herself ( I didn't care to check up close for gender) on a fallen tree. It was at this point, I decided the swimming area was not so inviting if I had to share it with even this less-than full-grown reptile. Although I was less than anxious to share its swimming hole, I was eager to capture its likeness in memory.


One last look down the river and we would be on our way to the next stop along the roads less traveled.

Be sure to check back as we have lots more places to see.








Also check out www.DSDigitals.com website for more pictures. For picture taking tips visit my other Blog: http://dsdigitals.blogspot.com/ There you can find more technical information about cameras, computers and photography in general.